Very often we are so preoccupied with the destination, we forget the journey. We invite you to journey with us... Sign up to connect with Rhythm MP or follow us on facebook.com/MusicJamboree


Part 2: To learn music is to apply music

Recently, I sent out a questionnaire to some musicians about learning music theory. Among the replies, I have selected two to feature here from accomplished musicians who did not begin their musical journey by taking formal music lessons. Obviously, they chose a career in music because of their passion for music.

Their realization about the relevance of music theory came when pursuing a career as a musician. Here are some words of encouragement and advice from these musicians to share with all of you.

This is what bassist and band leader Frankie Chai of "Jazzhats" has to say:

1. How did you decide upon choosing a career in the musical arts?
When I was 20 and when asked by a friend to join their band.

2. What instrument do you play and what made you choose your principle instrument?
I actually started with the acoustic guitar. One day a friend told me they were looking for a guitarist for their band, and if I was interested. I said yes, met the band and found out they were actually looking for a bassist, which was how I got started on the bass. From then on, the bass has been my principle instrument.

3. Did you formally learn music when you were young?
No, I did not have the opportunity.

4. If you did not learn music formally, how did you begin to perform music?
I just listened and memorize all the bass parts just to reproduce almost exactly.

5. What made you decide on learning music rudiments and theory?
I started late upon realizing the importance of music literacy. It was difficult having to catch up on so much music theory that is required to understand music.

6. Would you say that knowing music theory has helped you in your music career?
YES!! Definitely.

7. How did knowing music theory help you? What were you able to do with knowing music theory?
Learning and knowing music theory helped me understand music better. Now, I can compose music, arrange music and lead my band.

8. What are your thoughts about music theory? Is it important? Why?
Knowing music theory is very important!! Besides being able to read, write and transcribe music, music theory is required to analyze and know the inner workings of music better. Being able to read and understand music also allows me to be a recording studio musician as we need to read charts well.

9. What advice do you have for music students about learning music theory?
It is a must for all music students. As for me, it was really difficult at first because my command of the English language was poor. But I just wanted to learn it and finally I did manage to learn a lot of music theory and I am still learning. If you want to know how I did it without knowing much English, let me say its all about passion and a strong desire to learn to be better.


This is what guitarist and band leader Kelvyn Yeang of "Ocean of Fire" has to say:

1. How did you decide upon choosing a career in the musical arts?
I always had a passion from the start, and I guess it was somewhat a calling.

2. What instrument do you play and what made you choose your principle instrument?
I play the guitar because other instruments were too expensive and we had no pianos lying around at home.

3. Did you formally learn music when you were young?
No.

4. If you did not learn music formally, how did you begin to perform music?
It was a matter of listening and figuring things out. Joining the school marching band did help a little. I was a clarinetist with the school marching band.

5. What made you decide on learning music rudiments and theory?
I never forced myself, it was natural. When you see a need, you go ahead and do it. Admittedly, I do not have super levels of theory knowledge but learning as much theory as possible has enabled me to move forward musically. The basics were taught in school when I was with the marching band. After that, it was a gradual process.

6. Would you say that knowing music theory has helped you in your music career?
Yes.

7. How did knowing music theory help you? What were you able to do with knowing music theory?
You can expand your limits and you realize...its limitless!!!!

8. What are your thoughts about music theory? Is it important? Why?
It is similar to understanding grammar and literature in language. You speak more eloquently or with better "phrasing".

9. What advice do you have for music students about learning music theory?
Do it! You will thank yourself for it.


Knowing music theory opens up a whole world of music to you. There is a lot of music that is accessible to you. The music can be from different genres featuring diverse styles but you can make sense of it if you can read, understand and interpret the music.

With music theory, you can become a composer or an arranger like the two musicians featured in the above questionnaire. They compose and arrange original music of their own creation. That would be the greatest gratification for any musician, which is, to write and arrange their own original music.

No comments:

Post a Comment